Women’s Healthcast: Jennings shares facts and fiction of ectopic pregnancies
Ectopic pregnancies – pregnancies that implant and start to grow outside the uterus – can be quite dangerous and often require swift treatment. So why are some legislators around the country proposing laws that would change how ectopic pregnancies are treated by requiring physicians to attempt to move the pregnancy back to the uterus?
Ashley Jennings, MD, of the UW Ob-Gyn Division of Academic Specialists in Ob-Gyn joined the Women’s Healthcast to explain what ectopic pregnancies are, why they happen, the risks they pose to women’s health, and why legislation that has no basis in fact can be so damaging for patients and health care providers alike.
Listen To Ectopic Pregnancy: Fact and Fiction now.
Did you know the Women’s Healthcast is available on all your favorite podcast platforms? Whether you like to listen on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Stitcher, Podbean, or anywhere else, you can find us! (Just search Women’s Healthcast, and while you’re at it, may as well subscribe!)
Peace and Jennings to present poster at ASCCP
Ashley Jennings, MD, of the UW Ob-Gyn Division of Academic Specialists in Ob-Gyn, and UW Ob-Gyn resident Stephanie Peace, MD, PGY-3 will present a poster at the 2020 ASCCP Scientific Meeting on Anogenital & HPV-Related Diseases this spring!
“Prevalence of High-Grade Dysplasia in Discordant Cervical Cancer Screening” draws on research Peace is working on for her resident research project.
Congratulations to all 2020 UW Ob-Gyn Department Award winners!
The annual UW Ob-Gyn Department Awards Ceremony is an important fixture on our calendar – an opportunity to say goodbye to those leaving, extend a warm welcome to the residents, fellow, and trainees soon to join us, and celebrate some things that make our department special.
While we weren’t able to sit together, no mere pandemic could stop the awards. (And a bonus of celebrating via WebEx: many people shared special thanks and congratulations in the chat, included below.)
Before beginning the ceremony, we took some time to thank and congratulate two beloved members of the department who are retiring in the coming weeks. Dinesh Shah, MD, and Karen Watson, both of the UW Ob-Gyn Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, retire after many years of service to the department (15 for Dr. Shah, more than 40 for Karen!) Many shared gratitude and well wishes for them:
- We will miss you, Dr. Shah! – Ramsey Larson
- We will miss you, Karen!! – Christy Lincicum
- Congrats Karen! It's been a great pleasure to work with you. – Janet Short
- We will miss you Dr. Shah! We miss you already, Karen! – Katie Antony
- You will be missed Karen! Enjoy retirement! – Aimee Tobin
- Karen, I miss you already! Congrats!!! – Cheri Verdecchia
- Congratulations, Dr. Shah and Karen! I wish you all the best as you enter the next phase. :) – Christine Heisler
- Karen, congratulations but I'll so miss you. Dinesh, congrats as well, but so glad you'll be back for research! – David Abbott
- Will definitely miss you Karen. Enjoy retirement! – Jen Ferry
In addition to departures, we are so happy to welcome many new faces to the department!
- Ran (Catherine) Zhang, MD – Gynecologic Oncology fellow
- Bradley Bosse, MD – Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellow
- Tuyen Huynh, MS, PhD – HDRS postdoctoral fellow
- Bikki Tran Smith, MPH, PhD – HDRS postdoctoral fellow
- Brian Tuohy, PhD – HDRS postdoctoral fellow
- Incoming first-year residents India Anderson-Carter, MD; Alex Andes, MD; Gabrielle Avery, MD; Kaley Gyorfi, MD (rural residency track); Margaret Harrison, MD; Jennifer Janik; MD; and Awa Sanneh, MD
MEDICAL STUDENT AWARDS
DR. SAMUEL G. PERLSON SCHOLARSHIP – Shilpa Kaluru, MD (NYU Grossman); India Anderson-Carter, MD
This award goes out to one or more fourth year medical students planning to pursue a career in Ob-Gyn who have demonstrated outstanding abilities as a scholar and outstanding humanistic qualities.
T.A. LEONARD AWARD – Sara Berman; Sophia Colevas
The T.A. Leonard Award is given to one or more medical students in recognition of exemplary performance on their third year Ob-Gyn rotation.
MEDICAL STUDENT EDUCATOR AWARD FOR RESIDENT TEACHING – Kathryn Dryer, MD; Madeline Wetterhahn, MD
This award is given to a UW-Madison Obstetrics and Gynecology resident, selected by 3rd and 4th year medical students, who exhibits a high interest in teaching, actively involves students in patient care, teaches at an appropriate level, is respectful, approachable, honest, and is a great role model.
- Yay Kathryn and Maddy!! – Ramsey Larson
- Congratulations Maddy and Kathryn!! – Katie Antony
- Well done!!!!!! – Christine Heisler
- Awesome, Kathryn and Maddy! Well-deserved! – Sumer Wallace
CHIEF RESIDENT RECOGNITION – Anna Drewry, MD; Kali Rivas, MD
For service as the administrative chief resident, academic year 2019-2020.
- Unprecedented chiefs for unprecedented times! – Katie Antony
- Such an incredible chief class! We will miss you all!! – Christine Heisler
UW HEALTH INTERDISCIPLINARY GLOBAL HEALTH TRACK RECOGNITION – Sierra Jansen, MD
Given to a graduating resident upon the completion of the Global Health Track.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF GYNECOLOGIC LAPAROSCOPISTS (AAGL) AWARD – Antonio Romo de Vivar Chavez, MD
Given to a graduating resident with special excellence in endoscopic procedures; includes free membership in the AAGL for one year.
- Yesssss Antonio!!! – Ramsey Larson
- Kudos Sierra and Antonio :-) – Katie Antony
SOCIETY OF LAPAROENDOSCOPIC SURGEONS (SLS) Award – Ramsey Larson, MD
Awarded to a PGY3, outstanding laparoendoscopic resident; includes a listing in Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Residents in the Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, and a free membership with the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons for one year.
- YES!! Way to go, Ramsey!! – Christine Heisler
ASCCP AWARD – Stephanie Peace, MD
Resident who has shown outstanding research, academic, and/or clinical potential.
RESIDENT CREOG AWARD – Anna Drewry, MD
Awarded for the highest exam score on the annual CREOG In-Training Examination (Drewry scored in the top two percent of all people who took the exam!)
- Smarty pants Drewry! – Ramsey Larson
BEN M. PECKHAM AWARD – Anna Drewry, MD; Antonio Romo de Vivar Chavez, MD
Awarded to a senior residents for excellence in the teaching and clinical practice of Ob-Gyn, as voted by the residents.
SOCIETY OF GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY (SGO) AWARD – Dandi Huang, MD
Awarded to a PGY3 who best exemplifies the qualities of the mission and vision of SGO.
- Congratulations, Dandi! So proud! :) – Christine Heisler
SOCIETY FOR ACADEMIC SPECIALISTS IN GENERAL OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY (SASGOG) AWARD – Kali Rivas, MD
Awarded to a PGY4 who has distinguished themselves academically and demonstrates an interest in a career as an Academic Specialist.
AMERICAN UROGYNECOLOGIC SOCIETY (AUGS) AWARD – Melissa Meyer, MD
Awarded to a PGY3 resident demonstrating excellence in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, as chosen by the FPMRS faculty.
- Kudos, Melissa! – Katie Antony
SOCIETY FOR MATERNAL-FETAL MEDICINE (SMFM) AWARD – John Poehlmann, MD
Awarded to the PGY2 resident who best exemplifies the qualities of the vision of our society to improve pregnancy and perinatal outcomes.
- Congratulations John!! :-) – Katie Antony
- Woo Hoo! Come work with us John!!! – Jackie Adams
- Congrats John! Well deserved – Jenny Jacobson
DOUGLAS W. LAUBE BEST TRAINEE PAPER AWARD – Amanda Mauro
For the best peer reviewed paper by a graduate student dissertator or medical fellow.
- Strong work, Amanda! – Katie Antony
ROLAND K. MEYER GRADUATE TRAINEE AWARD – Sydney Nguyen
Awarded to the graduate student dissertator showing the most scientific productivity and scholarly activity.
- Impressive! – Ramsey Larson
- Congratulations, Sydney! I wish you the best. It's been a pleasure to work with you :-) – Katie Antony
CHESTER B. MARTIN GRADUATE TRAINING PROGRAM MENTORSHIP AWARD – David Abbott, PhD
Awarded to faculty or staff that has had the most impact on graduate student degree-related training.
PHILLIP R. HAMILTON III, MD RESIDENT RESEARCH AWARD – MJ Kao, MD; Brenda Niu, MD
Awarded to the senior residents demonstrating the best effort in research.
OBGYN SUPPORT STAFF EXCELLENCE AWARD – Aimee Tobin
In recognition of outstanding staff who routinely and regularly exemplify the mission of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology through excellent performance and customer service.
- Congratulations Aimee! So well deserved! – Christy Lincicum
- Alright Aimee! Congrats! – Cheri Verdecchia
- So well deserved, Aimee. – David Abbott
- Congratulations, Aimee! I am so grateful for all you do. We are lucky to have you in our department. – Christine Heisler
RESIDENT FACULTY AWARDS
JOHN M. ANDERSON, MD MEMORIAL AWARD – Luther Gaston, MD
For demonstrating the traits of Dr. Anderson: patience, integrity and compassion in the care of women.
- YAY DR. GASTON – Maya Gross
- Congratulations, Dr. Gaston! Well deserved. – Katie Antony
- Congratulations Dr. Gaston! Woo HOO! – Cheri Verdecchia
- Congratulations, Luther! – Christine Heisler
KIMBERLEY J. MILLER COMPASSIONATE COLLEAGUE AWARD – Kathy Stewart, MD
For demonstrating the traits of Dr. Miller showing respect, compassion, dedication and unending support towards their colleagues and trainees.
- YAY DR. STEWART – Jackie Adams
- Congratulations Dr. Stewart! – Katie Antony
- Congratulations, Dr. Stewart! Awesome! – Christine Heisler
DOLORES A. BUCHLER AWARD – Ryan Spencer, MD
For excellence in instruction at the senior resident level.
KARL A. RUDAT AWARD – Dobie Giles, MD
For excellence in surgical teaching at the senior resident level.
DEPARTMENT FACULTY AWARDS
OUTSTANDING FELLOW EDUCATOR – Janelle Sobecki, MD, MS
Given to one fellow in either Gynecologic Oncology or Maternal-Fetal Medicine for excellence in resident education.
ST. MARY’S ADJUNCT FACULTY EDUCATOR AWARD – Thomas Littlefield, MD, MPH
Selected by the residents for excellence in resident education.
MERITER ADJUNCT FACULTY EDUCATOR AWARD – Sarah Yanke, MD (Madison Women’s Health)
Selected by the residents for excellence in resident education.
SOCIETY FOR ACADEMIC SPECIALISTS IN GENERAL OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY (SASGOG) AWARD – Molly Lepic, DO
National faculty award for dedication and commitment to the ideals of being an academic generalist.
SABINE DROSTE AWARD – Molly Lepic, DO
The Sabine Droste Award is selected by the junior residents for a faculty member who demonstrates excellence in instruction at the junior resident level.
- Way to go, Dr. Lepic!! Congratulations! :) – Christine Heisler
- Congratulations, Dr. Lepic! – Katie Antony
ELLEN HARTENBACH AWARD – Ashley Jennings, MD
Selected by the residents and given annually to the faculty member who has made the greatest contribution in simulation education.
- Congrats Dr. Jennings – Cheri Verdecchia
CREOG FACULTY AWARD – Molly Lepic, DO
National faculty award for excellence in resident education.
Congratulations to all award recipients, and thank you for all you do to support the UW Department of Ob-Gyn's clinical, research and educational mission!